Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Week 24!


BABY IS THE SIZE OF AN EAR OF CORN!!

Baby’s Face Is Formed
Your baby is about eight-and-a-half inches long (standard letter size!) and weighs one-and-a-half pounds, gaining steadily at a rate of about six ounces per week. Much of that weight comes from growing organs, bones, muscle and accumulating baby fat. Wondering what (and who) your baby will look like? If you had a baby cam at 24 weeks pregnant, you'd almost be able to tell by now. That beautiful face (though still tiny) is almost fully formed, complete with eyelashes, eyebrows and hair. Is your baby a brunette, a blonde or a redhead? Actually, right now her locks are white since there's no pigment yet. The fat that will be piled on under baby's skin is also missing from the picture right now. Until those fat deposits are made, that very tender skin is still very transparent, which means a close look would let you see clear through to all the organs, bones and blood vessels. Fortunately, that see-through look won't last much longer.
Fetal Hearing
What's been playing on your little rocker's stereo system these days? All kinds of sounds can be heard by your baby in your womb: air exhaling from your lungs (deep breath now), those gastric gurgles produced by your stomach and intestines, your voice and your partner's (which your baby will be able to recognize at birth), and even very loud sounds such as honking horns, barking dogs or a wailing fire truck.



It is so amazing to be able to feel him move more and more every day. I woke up to him kicking yesterday at 4:30am. I just layed there in bed wondering which way he was facing and which body part was poking me in the stomach and on my sides. At one point, I was laying on my side and he was pressed up so far against my stomach that I could feel him with my hand. So I just laid there and craddled our little guy. I didn't mind being up that early, this experience was all worth it!
Yesterday, I was reclining in our couch because it was so miserably hot outside. I had the fan on our end table blowing relief at my well insulated body and sipped on ice water. He loved it! He was moving around a ton! We actually got to see his movements. Mitch was in awe. I called my dad and Corey over to come check it out. When they each came to look, you could see him poking out on the left side of my stomach. It looked so weird and lopsided but really cool at the same time. My dad said, "Wow! It looks like something poking through a water balloon!" I just laughed and said thank you.
We had our follow up appointment this past Thurday with our doctor. She recommended pediatricians to us (is it really close enough to talk about that right now?! WOW!) and did our routine check up. She measured my belly and said I was measuring petite but normal. And she used the dopler to measure the baby's heart rate. She said his heart is extremely healthy and that when she looked over the anaotmay scan we had a few weeks back, that everything looks great! Baby boy is progressing very well! We are so excited about this little guy and Mitch and I are equally as anxious for him to come into our family. We still don't have a name for him yet. It's serious business naming a baby, and WAY harder than I ever thought it would be. Mitch and I just can't agree on any boy names. We have some time, but man I would love to know what we will be calling him for the rest of his life. But that's just me being imaptient. I like to have everything figured out ahead of time, but that's just not realistic right now. I think Mitch and I will have to come up with some sort of competition to try to "win" the right to name the baby haha. I'm just kidding, but seriously...
I still sit and think sometimes about the fact that I have a little human inside my body that is growing and developing, and is OUR son. A perfect blend of Mitch and I. And it amazes me so much to think that my little body can grow and sustain life for 40 weeks. Life is amazing, and the concept of conception and pregnancy just astounds me. I am so grateful that we are blessed to be able to have our own children, and that I get to experience this. My heart breaks for women who don't have the same opportunity, but I am amazed at those who overcome that trial and find the blessings that can come from infertility and adpotion. Being a mother, whether conceieved on your own, with the help of medicine or through adoption, is such a sacred honor and responsibility. I count my blessing every day for this little boy. My love for him is so strong already, I can't imagine how much more that will grow when he is finally here and we see him for the first time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment